CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

its about time

I'm a convert to the church i go to now. it was not the greatest bit of news for my parents, who are long time members of the church i grew up in. my grandfather on my dads side was bishop of the congregation for 20+ years and they used the pool at my grandmother on my moms side as a baptismal font. the reason i give the family history is to try to explain the extent of how bad the news was for them that i left the church. long story short, they did not take it well but, being as cool as my family is it went over as well as it could for such a big deal. my family rocks. every other family sucks in comparison. well any way, after some time, my dad, mom too, but it seems mostly dad started to find out all he could about the LDS church. after about a two year study he told me he wanted to start asking me some questions, that has been about two years ago. now at long last he has started to study with me. he has also invited me to ask any one who cares to to respond to his questions. so i will give you the first.

Does the President of the church have a direct link with God? Are his teachings inspired as the original 12 apostles? How is his selection made known; in other words, how do you know that he is the one that has been chosen by God?

Well there it is. I hope I can give answers that will at least make him stop and think.

5 comments:

Renae said...

Yes, your family does rock amazingly. I emailed Terry. Maybe I'll post my response later.

Karen said...

How awesome that he's asking questions!

timpani76 said...

"In 1829, Joseph Smith received the restored priesthood authority to organize Christ’s Church. John the Baptist appeared and conferred upon Joseph Smith and his associate Oliver Cowdery the Aaronic Priesthood, which includes the authority to perform the ordinance of baptism.

Later, Peter, James, and John (three of Christ’s original Apostles) appeared and conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood upon Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, restoring the same authority given to Christ’s Apostles anciently. In 1830, with this priesthood authority, the same Church of Jesus Christ that existed centuries ago was organized and restored to the earth by Joseph Smith.

A living prophet—the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—is the authorized successor to Joseph Smith. He and the present Apostles trace their authority to Jesus Christ in an unbroken chain of ordinations through Joseph Smith."

That's a quote from mormon.org (for those investigating the church). I think it summed up pretty well how I feel about the line of priesthood succession of prophets that we have had in an unbroken line since Joseph Smith first received the restored priesthood and prophets were brought back to the earth.

I think the reason that I know he was chosen by God is because I have a testimony of Joseph Smith and all he received to restore the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the earth. A testimony of Joseph Smith is very important if you are to have a testimony of the modern prophet of the church.

I also have faith that the prophet Thomas S. Monson is inspired of God because the Holy Ghost tells me every time the man speaks or I read his words in the Ensign.

Dana Cheryl said...

That's awesome news B. I'll be praying for your fam.

lid said...

DAD POST NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!